Follow - Comment - Lift Weights!

Friday 1 July 2011

Progress so far.

I have been using a program called 'Starting Strength' for almost 9 months now. It is designed for novices and combined with a good diet, gives excellent results. StartingStrengthWiki

Not only has the program helped to make me stronger and look better, but it's provided a great foundation to my future in the gym; it's taught me how to lift correctly, and given me insight into designing my own programs or personalizing others I choose to use later down the line. Well, thats the  blatant advertising over, here is my overall progress: (note: all values, for the sake of simplicity, count as one 'rep' - I'll make a glossary of terms I've come across in a later post)

Deadlift: Initial (when I first started training) = 120lbs
                Current (after 9 months of Starting Strength) = 320lbs

Bench:  Initial = 90lbs
              Current = 185lbs     

Squat: Initial = 120lbs
            Current = 270lbs   


It's also worth noting here that when I first started out I weighed a measly 155lbs, which for someone of my height (6'0) is far too thin. I'm now weighing 188lbs and on my way to the target weight of 200lbs - diet has always been my achilles heel however, so in many ways its my biggest battle. Without proper amounts of food (read: lots) I can't get bigger and stronger. Also worth noting is the very slow progression on my Benchpress; it is by far my weakest lift - I believe this is the case becuase I have naturally long arms, this suits the Deadlift much more (which is my strongest lift)  Although, maybe I just need to train my chest and triceps more!

4 comments:

  1. interesting stuff. Ive been hitting the gym since last august and whilst i havent been keeping records like you i've definately got a lot more thinner (opposite of you; was chubby as hell back when I started lifting/cardio) and have alot more definition. must be hella hard gaining muscle if you're pretty skinny, most of my fat just got burnt straight into it
    +follow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting read, I'd like to tone up a tad and add on some bulk. Following :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great progress keep up goos work

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice keep it up man im sure progress starts to pick up quicker after a while

    ReplyDelete